Claudia Benetello, professional interpreter for the music industry
I am an independent professional based in Milan. I don’t consider myself a freelance interpreter so much as an artisan of communication: I do live translations between English and Italian for everything revolving around music.
What makes me different? My great expertise in this field, stemming from my professional experience in the music industry.
I earned the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, (the top certification of knowledge of English), and completed the Advanced Training Course in Interpreting Techniques (Italian/English) at the SSML in Varese. I also earned my Master’s Degree in Music Communication for the Record Industry and Media at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan and worked as promotion manager at the Friends & Partners concert agency. In addition, I’ve worked as a publicist in the music industry as well as music journalist (I’m a member of the Journalists’ Association). That’s why I’m the right interpreter for roundtables, interviews and press conferences with singers, artists and bands.
Read my latest articles about interpreting
What an interpreter does and types of interpreting
An interpreter is a professional who orally translates from one language to another. This can take place after the speaker has completed part of his or her discussion (consecutive interpreting) or as the person is speaking (simultaneous interpreting and whispered interpreting, also known as chuchotage).
Interpreting is an art that requires a series of skills. The interpreter must have an excellent command of the language (and the culture) from which he or she is translating, in-depth knowledge of the subject being discussed, and excellent communication skills in the target language.
I can help you with interpreting skills in all three modes:
- Consecutive interpreting: the interpreter takes notes and translates after the speaker has completed part of the discussion.
- Simultaneous interpreting: the interpreter, seated in a soundproof booth, listens to the speaker through headphones and translates into a microphone. The audience can listen to the translation using earbuds, or directly through the amplifier system in the hall (oversound).
- Whispered interpreting (chuchotage): the interpreter translates simultaneously – during the speech – sitting next to the listener, speaking softly and without using equipment.
The translator instead works in writing.
I’m both an interpreter and translator specialized in the music industry and I offer interpreting and translation services in this field.
English <> Italian interpreting for the music industry
I draw on my prior experience in music promotion, publicity and journalism, and mainly interpret for the media:
- Press conferences with international artists
- Roundtables with a small group of selected journalists
- Interviews (radio, television, press)
I can also help at exclusively music-related conventions and meetings.
Why choose me as your interpreter for the music industry?
- Subject matter expertise: I specialize in music and interpret exclusively in this field to guarantee you service that fully meets your expectations.
- Careful pronunciation: I’m particularly effective on the radio and TV, thanks to my clean delivery without any inflections.
- Added value: capitalizing on my professional experience as a music promotion manager, music publicist and music journalist, I offer interpreting services with high added value.
Seeing is believing
Sting, Robbie Williams, Noel Gallagher: these are just a few of the artists I’ve had the pleasure of translating live at roundtables, press conferences and interviews.
Would you like to hear my voice? Listen to it by clicking on the various images.
Wondering if you can trust me?
Here are some testimonials about my interpreting services for the music industry.
I had the opportunity to see Claudia in action during a round table via Zoom with Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters. Not only was she a perfect interpreter, translating from English to Italian and back again quickly and accurately, but she also managed to moderate the virtual meeting with professionalism and empathy. Coordinating timing and people is not easy, especially when you’re not in the same room, but the event went brilliantly. It was clear that, in addition to knowing the language, Claudia was also familiar with the topic and was a music fan. Her presence undoubtedly made the interview easier and even more memorable.Barbara VisentinCorriere della Sera
I had the pleasure of working with Claudia on an important and delicate project. She was precise, prompt and open, and immediately established an excellent rapport with the artist she was interpreting, which is very important and doesn’t happen every day. We will unquestionably work together again in the future.
The fact that she is passionate about music and knows exactly what she’s doing when she’s working between artist and journalist is essential and makes a difference, since a translation error can create problems in terms of communication.Jessica GaibottiUniversal Music
Claudia proved to be an invaluable resource as part of our team for a multi-week trip to Milan. Her music industry knowledge and professionalism are unparalleled, and she was key to us completing our project on time and on budget. I highly recommend her to anyone needing Italian translation and interpretation services in the music industry.Rob EasonCPA
How much does it cost?
Every interpreting job is different. Contact me for a customized quotation, with no obligation.