What is it? Definition and meaning
Transcreation is a service that’s halfway between translation and copywriting (and thus creation). In short, it involves the interlinguistic adaptation of advertising and marketing copy. This means rewriting a promotional or advertising text in another language with respect to the original.
Translating is like a journey: there’s a text that’s the point of departure (the source text, written in the language from which you translate) and a point of arrival (the target text, written in the language into which you translate). Advertising is a cultural product, and the culture of a population is intricately tied to its language. In fact, world visions and communication styles are influenced by language structures. Furthermore, the aim of advertising is to elicit a given reaction in its target audience, and copywriting consists of writing advertising and marketing copy that can persuade the public. To be more incisive and memorable, wordplay and cultural references are often used. Often, however, they are not translatable or understandable for people living in other countries, who speak a different language, have a different culture and are familiar with another market. That’s why transposing advertising messages or marketing information from one language to another is more complicated than straight translation.
In an increasingly connected world in which geographical distances are bridged by the Internet, companies are also selling outside their domestic market. They turn above all to foreign markets and, potentially, the whole world. When a company communicates on an international level, it must satisfy two opposite needs: keeping the meaning and tone of the original message in the different languages, while also advertising in a way that “works” in the target country. Since the aim is to produce copy that is effective for the target culture and market, it is also beneficial to readapt it completely if faithful transposition cannot achieve this. Let’s look at an example. The Italian payoff for Norton™ AntiVirus, “Boldly Go” and “Go boldly, not blindly”, respectively became “Punta in alto” (aim high) and “Punta in alto senza rischi” (aim high without risks). Both work in the two languages, but they say completely different things: the Italian transcreation of the message is a complete rewriting of the original. The process that led to developing the Italian version is explained in detail in this video.
Whenever there are advertising and marketing messages to be used in different countries, transcreation enters into the picture. Here is Claudia Benetello’s personal definition of transcreation, from the academic paper “Transcreation as Creation of a New Original: a Norton™ Case Study”:
“writing advertising or marketing copy for a specific market, starting from copy written in a source language, as if the target text had been originated in the target language and culture”.
Transcreation or translation?
Let’s set the record straight: transcreation is not a synonym for translation, nor for creative translation. First of all, any translation is creative work per se, regardless of whether it involves advertising copy or a sales contract. Secondly, transcreation is an entirely different service from translation, which requires four different skills:
- Language skills: like any translator worth their salt, the transcreation professional grasps all the nuances of meaning in the original advertising or marketing copy.
- Copywriting skills: like any good copywriter, the transcreation professional is able to write persuasively and can rework the original copy – sometimes completely differently – in the most effective way for the target language and culture, offering numerous creative options and illustrating the reasons behind each suggestion. Naturally, all of this respects the client’s brief.
- Cultural sensitivity: like a cultural anthropologist, the transcreation professional is a keen observer with profound knowledge of the target culture, and can thus draw on it for transcreation. Therefore, it is essential for the professional to live in the target country, in order to have everyday contact with the local culture.
- Local market understanding: like the most seasoned marketer, the transcreation professional knowns the market scenario in which clients and their competitors work. This means avoiding creative paths previously travelled by the competition, in order to produce copy that fully captures the uniqueness of the client’s brand. This is another reason that it is fundamental for the professional to live in the target country.
Transcreation from English and German to Italian
Dropinka® means couturier communications. It is not an agency, but an independent professional. Each assignment is personally conducted by Claudia Benetello, who offers transcreation services from English and German to Italian.
Where is transcreation used?
Whenever you have advertising or marketing copy (in other words, a text that is clearly intended to persuade your audience) to translate from one language to another, you need transcreation, not a creative translation.
A few examples.
- TV commercials
- Radio commercials
- Print ads
- Web content
- Social-media posts
Dropinka® works with virtually all industries:
- Consumer electronics
- Consumer goods
- Corporate consulting
- Cosmetics and beauty products
- Food & beverage
- Luxury goods
Dropinka® is Claudia Benetello
Claudia Benetello is a communications specialist based in Milan, and has been in the business since 2005. As a transcreation specialist, she helps Italian and international companies and communication agencies adapt advertising and marketing copy from English and German to Italian. Drawing on her expertise and sensitivity, she is able to determine if a relatively faithful transposition of the source text will be effective in Italian or if the message must be reworked. One example is this tagline:
When you work with Dropinka®, you can count on Claudia Benetello’s comprehensive professional consultancy:
- Cultural and naming consultation: assessing the appropriateness of a message, copy, visual and/or brand name for the Italian market.
- Transcreation: adaptation of the advertising or marketing copy from English or German to Italian, providing several creative proposals based on the brief you provide.
- Voice casting: for radio and TV commercials, selection of the best speakers for the job.
- Voiceover direction: for radio and TV commercials, direction and coordination of the speakers at the recording studio.
Why turn to Dropinka® for transcreation?
- Flexibility: Dropinka® caters to your every need, thanks to experience dealing with a wide variety of advertising and marketing copy, and an array of industries.
- No intermediaries: Dropinka® is not a communications agency but an independent professional, Claudia Benetello, who personally handles every transcreation project. This means you’ll save time and money for service that’s been crafted with love and meticulous attention to detail to fit you like a glove.
- Experience: Dropinka® has 14 years of experience and a long list of satisfied customers.
- Excellent training: Claudia Benetello combines solid mastery of foreign languages with outstanding copywriting skills. She holds the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (the top certificate for English) and the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (the top certificate for German), and has a specialist Master’s in Copywriting and Advertising Communication from Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione IULM in Milan, which includes coursework at the prestigious Miami Ad School.
Speaker at conferences and seminars on transcreation
Claudia Benetello has given speeches and held seminars on transcreation since 2012 – in Italy and abroad:
- 2019: “La transcreation al servizio del marketing internazionale. Seminario teorico-pratico EN>IT”, Napoli
- 2018: “The transcreation of advertisements: Exploring the space between translation and copywriting”, Translating Europe Worksop “Traduzione specialistica, interpretariato e creatività: competenze, strumenti, approcci”, Roma. Watch the video
- 2018: “Il triangolo sì! Laboratorio pratico di transcreation pubblicitaria dall’inglese all’italiano”, Bologna
- 2017: “What’s in a name? Defining transcreation as a professional practice”, first international interdisciplinary conference on “Intersemiotic Translation, Adaptation, Transposition: Saying Almost the Same Thing?”, University of Cyprus, Nicosia
- 2017: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Genova
- 2017: “Tra copywriting e traduzione: la transcreation”, Fondazione Universitaria San Pellegrino, Misano Adriatico
- 2016: “When translation is not enough: transcreation as a convention-defying practice”, Translation and the Creative Industries International Conference, University of Westminster, London. Watch the video and read the full paper
- 2016: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Milano
- 2016: “Transcreation as Creation of a New Original: a Norton™ Case Study”, Creativity in Translation / Interpretation and Interpreter / Translator Training International Conference, Università Suor Orsola Benincasa, Napoli. Watch the video and get the full paper
- 2015: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali DE>IT”, seminar for Coop Genossenschaft, Basel
- 2015: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Trieste
- 2014: “Tra copywriting e traduzione: la transcreation”, XIII Giornate della Traduzione Letteraria, Urbino
- 2014: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali”, webinar
- 2014: “Addio traduzione, benvenuta transcreation: l’adattamento dei testi pubblicitari EN>IT”, Torino
- 2013: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Roma
- 2013: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Padova
- 2013: “La transcreation dei testi pubblicitari e promozionali EN>IT”, Pisa
- 2012: “Transcreation: traduzione e copywriting nel marketing globale”, Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione IULM, Milano
Feedback from some of the participants:
I attended more than one of Claudia’s seminars and, given my nature, I never would have signed up for a second one if I hadn’t been more than satisfied with the first. Claudia is an expert copywriter and translator in an industry that’s of great interest to me and is on the rise, at least in my humble opinion. Claudia gets straight to the point, avoids fluff, and delivers to her listeners the experience she’s acquired over years of working in the field of transcreation. I’m happy to have met her, both professionally and personally. Ad maiora.Pamela BrizzolaTranslator and interpreter
I met Claudia in 2013 during one of her transcreation seminars. I was truly impressed by her professionalism, expertise, creativity and ability to explain the contents in a clear, stimulating manner. When she organized a workshop in 2018 I didn’t let the opportunity pass me by! A wonderful experience. Well done, Claudia! Until next time!Fabrizia FossatiTranslator
In December 2015 Claudia held a seminar on two afternoons for the Italian-speaking group of Coop’s Language Service at the headquarters in Basel (Switzerland). The course was divided into two phases, one that was theoretical and analytical and the other practical, about translating and writing advertising slogans. We appreciated Claudia for her excellent speaking skills, her professionalism in addressing the various topics and the passion she puts into her work. I am very grateful to Claudia for this valuable opportunity to meet and exchange ideas, which enriched our group.Valeria Mazziari RandazzoCoop Genossenschaft
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? So take a look at some of the transcreation projects by Dropinka®.
Such samples may be published in compliance with the non-disclosure agreements in force.
What people are saying about Dropinka®
Claudia really knows how to handle foreign-language copy, rewrite in Italian and make it resonate with the target audience. She’s a skilled copywriter and a very efficient one. Highly recommended!Christina LeonidouPowersave Solutions
Claudia is a true creative professional who exceeds expectations in every area. She is a pleasure to work with, conscientious, consistent, reliable, flexible, knowledgeable about the subject matter, and delivers excellent work – on time, on brief and on budget. Claudia offers a rare synergy of creativity and a deep understanding of branding, advertising and marketing communications. This results in solutions that are right on target and that receive highly positive client approval. When I need Italian copywriting or transcreation from English into Italian for critical jobs and top-tier multinational corporate clients I contact Claudia Benetello.Stephen BenfeyCopywriter
Claudia is a very intelligent and effective copywriter, she really is amazing. I have often had to deal with complex advertising copy – thanks to Claudia’s intervention, I have had many happy clients. She can understand the deep meaning of a sentence and accurately research it, explain it, twist it and repackage it as an effective solution.Vincenzo AlbanoMcCann London
How much does it cost?
Every transcreation project is unique. Contact Dropinka® for a customized quotation, with no obligation.