What is transcreation? Definition and meaning
Transcreation is a service that’s halfway between translation and copywriting (and thus creation). In short, it involves the interlinguistic adaptation of advertising and marketing copy. This means rewriting a promotional or advertising text in another language with respect to the original.
Translating is like a journey: there’s a text that’s the point of departure (the source text, written in the language from which you translate) and a point of arrival (the target text, written in the language into which you translate). Advertising is a cultural product, and the culture of a population is intricately tied to its language. In fact, world visions and communication styles are influenced by language structures. Furthermore, the aim of advertising is to elicit a given reaction in its target audience, and copywriting consists of writing advertising and marketing copy that can persuade the public. To be more incisive and memorable, wordplay and cultural references are often used. Often, however, they are not translatable or understandable for people living in other countries, who speak a different language, have a different culture and are familiar with another market. That’s why transposing advertising messages or marketing information from a source language to a target language is more complicated than straight translation.
In an increasingly connected world in which geographical distances are bridged by the Internet, companies are also selling outside their domestic market. They turn above all to foreign markets and, potentially, the whole world. When a company communicates on an international level, it must satisfy two opposite needs: keeping the meaning and tone of the original message in the different languages, while also advertising in a way that “works” in the target country. Since the aim is to produce copy that is effective for the target culture and market, it is also beneficial to readapt it completely if faithful transposition cannot achieve this. Let’s look at an example. The Italian payoff for Norton™ AntiVirus, “Boldly Go” and “Go boldly, not blindly”, respectively became “Punta in alto” (aim high) and “Punta in alto senza rischi” (aim high without risks). Both work in the two languages, but they say completely different things: the Italian transcreation of the message is a complete rewriting of the original. The process that led to developing the Italian version is explained in detail in this paper.
Whenever there are advertising and marketing messages to be used in different countries, transcreation enters into the picture. Here is Claudia Benetello’s personal definition of transcreation, from the academic paper “Transcreation as Creation of a New Original: a Norton™ Case Study”: “writing advertising or marketing copy for a specific market, starting from copy written in a source language, as if the target text had been originated in the target language and culture”.
Read the latest posts
Transcreation or translation?
Let’s set the record straight: transcreation is not a synonym for translation, nor for creative translation. First of all, any translation is creative work per se, regardless of whether it involves advertising copy or a sales contract. Secondly, transcreation is an entirely different service from translation, which requires four different skills:
- Language skills: like any translator worth their salt, the transcreation professional grasps all the nuances of meaning in the original advertising or marketing copy.
- Copywriting skills: like any good copywriter, the transcreation professional is able to write persuasively and can rework the original copy – sometimes completely differently – in the most effective way for the target language and culture, offering numerous creative options and illustrating the reasons behind each suggestion. Naturally, all of this respects the client’s brief.
- Cultural sensitivity: like a cultural anthropologist, the transcreation professional is a keen observer with profound knowledge of the target culture, and can thus draw on it for transcreation. Therefore, it is essential for the professional to live in the target country, in order to have everyday contact with the local culture.
- Local market understanding: like the most seasoned marketer, the transcreation professional knowns the market scenario in which clients and their competitors work. This means avoiding creative paths previously travelled by the competition, in order to produce copy that fully captures the uniqueness of the client’s brand. This is another reason that it is fundamental for the professional to live in the target country.
Where is transcreation used?
Whenever you have advertising or marketing copy (in other words, a text that is clearly intended to persuade your audience) to translate from one language to another, you need transcreation, not a creative translation.
A few examples.
- TV commercials
- Radio commercials
- Print ads
- Web content
- Social-media posts
Dropinka® works with virtually all industries:
- Consumer electronics
- Consumer goods
- Corporate consulting
- Cosmetics and beauty products
- Food & beverage
- Luxury goods
Dropinka® is Claudia Benetello
Claudia Benetello is a communications specialist based in Milan, and has been in the business since 2005. As a transcreation specialist, she helps Italian and international companies and communication agencies adapt advertising and marketing copy from English and German to Italian. Drawing on her expertise and sensitivity, she is able to determine if a relatively faithful transposition of the source text will be effective in Italian or if the message must be reworked. One example is this tagline:
When you work with Dropinka®, you can count on Claudia Benetello’s comprehensive professional consultancy:
- Cultural and naming consultation: assessing the appropriateness of a message, copy, visual and/or brand name for the Italian market.
- Transcreation: adaptation of the advertising or marketing copy from English or German to Italian, providing several creative proposals based on the brief you provide.
- Voice casting: for radio and TV commercials, selection of the best speakers for the job.
- Voiceover direction: for radio and TV commercials, direction and coordination of the speakers at the recording studio.
Why turn to Dropinka® for transcreation?
- Flexibility: Dropinka® caters to your every need, thanks to experience dealing with a wide variety of advertising and marketing copy, and an array of industries.
- No intermediaries: Dropinka® is not a communications agency but an independent professional, Claudia Benetello, who personally handles every transcreation project. This means you’ll save time and money for service that’s been crafted with love and meticulous attention to detail to fit you like a glove.
- Experience: Dropinka® has 15 years of experience and a long list of satisfied customers.
- Excellent training: Claudia Benetello combines solid mastery of foreign languages with outstanding copywriting skills. She holds the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (the top certificate for English) and the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (the top certificate for German), and has a specialist Master’s in Copywriting and Advertising Communication from Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione IULM in Milan, which includes coursework at the prestigious Miami Ad School.
Speaker at conferences and seminars on transcreation
Claudia Benetello has given speeches and held seminars on transcreation since 2012 – in Italy and abroad.
Want to improve your skills? Read more about her transcreation courses.
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? So take a look at some of the transcreation projects by Dropinka®.
Such samples may be published in compliance with the non-disclosure agreements in force.
What people are saying about Dropinka®
Claudia is a very intelligent and effective copywriter, she really is amazing. I have often had to deal with complex advertising copy – thanks to Claudia’s intervention, I have had many happy clients. She can understand the deep meaning of a sentence and accurately research it, explain it, twist it and repackage it as an effective solution.Vincenzo AlbanoMcCann London
We are extremely happy with Claudia’s translation service. In particular, we appreciated the quality of the texts and her speedy delivery. We hope to work with her again for a number of years.Peter RainerTourismusverein Schnalstal
Following our company’s rebranding, we hired Claudia to collaborate on the transcreation of our corporate brochures. It wasn’t just about translating the copy, but also making it culturally relevant for the intended audience – all the while respecting our corporate identity. Well, she did an excellent job in accurately reflecting our identity, both on a linguistic and conceptual level. We consider Claudia to be a very valuable partner who we will trust with our future projects as well.Barbara PerazzoloTechnoform
How much does it cost?
Every transcreation project is unique. Contact Dropinka® for a customized quotation, with no obligation.