Italian translator for the music industry
[If you need translations in a field other than music, jump here.]
My name is Claudia Benetello and I’m an Italian professional based in Milan. I don’t consider myself a freelance translator so much as an artisan of communication: since 2005, I’ve been working from English and German into Italian, translating everything revolving around music information and promotion.
U2, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, Roger Waters, Bruce Springsteen: these are just a few of the artists I’ve had the pleasure of translating. To do this, I draw on my past professional experience, because I worked first-hand in music information and promotion.
After earning my Master’s Degree in Music Communication for the Record Industry and Media at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan, from 2003 to 2004 I worked as promotion manager for the Friends & Partners concert agency. I promoted tours by artists such as Pino Daniele, Antonello Venditti, Niccolò Fabi, Elisa, Biagio Antonacci and others. From 2005 until 2010 I was also a publicist, again, for the music industry.
As a journalist, I’ve written for various periodicals, including Gioia and Max, interviewing Italian and international artists such as Cesare Cremonini, Elio e le Storie Tese, Francesco Renga, Gogol Bordello, Pat Metheny and Simple Minds.
With such a relevant CV, choosing to specialise in translations for the music industry was a no-brainer. In fact, translating requires not only linguistic expertise, but also mastery of the subject matter. A full member of the Italian Translators and Interpreters Association (AITI) since 2011, I have also earned the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (the top certification of knowledge of English) and the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (the top certification of knowledge of German), and I constantly stay up to date through training courses and conferences.
Read my latest articles about translation
Translations from English and German to Italian
The best translators are those who understand their limitations. It’s impossible to provide a professional translation in all areas of human knowledge: to offer a top-quality service, it’s essential to specialize in a specific field and/or type of text. Plus, as the written word sticks around forever, for written translations it’s best to translate strictly into one’s native language, the only one we truly master.
That’s why I translate professionally from English and German into Italian, for the music field. My experience as a publicist and music journalist ensures not only mastery of the subject matter, but also a clear and incisive style that sounds natural in Italian. Because, let’s be honest: there’s nothing worse than a text that “reeks” of translation!
This is what I can translate for you:
- Press releases for press offices in the music industry
- Articles for periodicals (reviews, interviews, and features on artists and bands)
- Bios of artists and music groups for the press offices of record companies
- Books: music critiques, biographies autobiographies of artists and music groups
- Audio material: translation of audio interviews and audio commentaries
- Video material: translation of video interviews and the making-of for video clips (including subtitles)
- Songs: lyrics
I’m also an Italian/English interpreter and can assist with meetings, press conferences and other music events. I’ve worked with internationally renowned artists like Sting, Noel Gallagher and Dave Grohl.
Not in the music industry? I can help you with:
- Marketing and advertising translations. More than straight translation work, this is a service that is a cross between translation and copywriting, known as transcreation. In fact I wear the double hat of translator and copywriter. In transcreation, the ability to elicit emotions and reactions through writing prevails over the mastery of a specific industry or specialist language. This is why I perform transcreation for any industry, both B2B and B2C. Information technology, FMCG, automotive, beauty and much more – here you can see a selection of my works.
Why choose me as a translator for the music industry?
- Availability: I can help you deal with any emergency because you can get in touch by phone or email around the clock.
- Specialization: I translate for the music industry because I know it like the back of my hand. This way I can guarantee you a top-quality service.
- Credentials: I’m a full member of AITI (Italian Translators and Interpreters Association).
Seeing is believing
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? So take a look at some of my translations for the music industry.
Wondering if you can trust me?
Here are some testimonials about my translation services for the music industry.
I couldn’t have interviewed Roger Waters, the great Roger Waters, without Claudia Benetello. Her translation of the lyrics from the record Is This The Life We Really Want? and then of the interview that Waters gave Jon Pareles of The New York Times was invaluable. The same holds true for the subtitles of my video interview. Claudia is both excellent and meticulous. Plus she’s fast, which doesn’t hurt. Mentioning her in the written interview as well as the one on video, both of which published by Il Fatto Quotidiano, came naturally, the right thing to do. It was a pleasure to work with her and I look forward to next time.Andrea ScanziJournalist and writer
Claudia is a highly skilled translator and interpreter and provided our non-profit arts organization with a very fine translation of one of our productions for young audiences. Her professionalism was very clear from the beginning with her presentation to us of a clear time line of how and when the translation would be completed. She also contacted us during this process for clarification of our precise expectations with regards to certain commonly used phrases and words that were different once translated into Italian and that had some varied interpretations. I would highly recommend Claudia to anyone and I look forward to working with her again.Peggy HillsChamber Music Society of Mississauga
Claudia in a few words: she perfectly knows English in all its shades, and she always catches the spirit of the translations, being a huge music fans and having a lot of sensitivity.Luca FantaconeSony Music Entertainment
How much does it cost?
Every translation project is unique. Contact me for a customized quotation, with no obligation.